Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Traditional American Family

    As a child growing up in the 80's, I remember waking up to the smell of toast and juice each morning before school. Even though my mother worked as a teacher in a Head Start Program, she was home to fix me breakfast and see me off to school. At the end of my day, I remember seeing her face as I walked in the door It was a typical thing to have mom home while dad was at work. As a mother, my children get a lot of the same things. The only difference, things may have to be shifted around due to activities such as sports, meetings, etc. I don't think my kids have missed very much with me being a working mom. I must admit, I could not have accomplished much of anything without the support of my wonderful husband.
   The New York Times decided to see what are the dynamics of the family in their area. Through the United States Census, the American Community Survey was administered or required, given the $5000 penalty if a family chose to toss it in the trash. I wasn't so surprised to see the results. The family dynamics have changed in the past two decades. It's a fact. There is not much anyone can do about it.
I have included the link if you'd like to check it out.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/06/19/nyregion/how-many-households-are-like-yours.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.mc_id=NY-SM-E-FB-SM-LIN-HMH-061911-NYT-

I'd like some of your ideas of The Traditional American Family in 2011.

Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment